Friday, August 31, 2007

Fun Is My Middle Name

Today marks our fifth day of kindergarten. It was Spirit Day so Sam got to wear his Rosemont Bison t-shirt and jeans instead of his uniform, which he doesn't mind so I suppose it isn't much of a perk. But I was really selling it this morning on the way to school.

"It's Spirit Day. It's Friday. We have a long weekend. Aren't you excited about your day?" I asked.

"Let me tell you something," Sam started. "I don't have a friend. We don't play and we don't do anything fun."

"Well, kindergarten is going to be hard work, but you should be learning in a lot of fun ways." I told him.

"What do you know from fun?" he asked.

Hmm. Fun? Can you use that in a sentence? Fun. Can I have a definition please?

Because he is right. I don't know what's fun anymore. If you asked me what I do for fun it would involve cleaning closets or spending money.

So this weekend, I will lead by example. I will have some fun, damn it.