Thursday, October 04, 2007

Long Time No Blog

I'm not sure why it's been one month since I've blogged. Lately there's enough stuff going on around here to write a novel. Sam is six weeks into kindergarten and he and I are adjusting. He's made some friends, kicked some genitals (see, there's one blog I missed), learned a little and complained about homework a lot. (Yes, there's homework in kindergarten. I actually caught myself worrying about whether we'd done last night's assignment correctly - then I remembered IT'S KINDER - EFFIN - GARTEN!!)



Jake celebrated his third birthday on October 1. He shares his birthday with my grandmother - we call her Meams - who turned 90. So this past weekend four generations met at the park to eat cake and watch Jake open presents. As I look through the few photos I took I realize I didn't get any of Jake and Meams together, but I did capture Jake opening his presents, enjoying cake and disrobing in public to put on a new pair of Scooby Doo underwear. It probably won't be the only birthday he finds himself naked in a public place.




Since a lot of our family was in town for Jake's birthday we also had Abby baptized on Sunday. Again, I somehow didn't get any pictures of her, but the few I have of Jake and Sam in their suits and ties almost make up for that. She was splendid during the baptism but perhaps my favorite part was the brief 'sermon' our preacher gave when he baptized her, something like:

"Congregration, can you see little Abigail? She has her toy, she is calm, quiet. The picture of peace. But it's not easy being a little kid. You have so many questions, so much energy. You want to run and ask, and then you encounter that terrible word "NO." It's an awful word because you want to do what you want when you want, but you find out there is no and naptime and bedtime."



"But Abigial you push. You learn. You inquire. And may God give you the courage to fight the good fight and become your own person."

Amen.