Thursday, January 24, 2008

Squirrel Watch, Day Four


The past few days I have been fascinated with a wee squirrel that has taken a liking to our neighbor's windowsill. I'm not sure what it's doing. It could be sick or preparing to hibernate or fly south, whatever squirrels do in the winter, but it it sticking very close. Yesterday when the barking of the neighbor's dog became too much, the squirrel decided to move a little closer to our house. Very close, actually. It found a broken screen in our living room window and spent the next 12 hours there. If I were a squirrel, I might think I'd found nirvana - a warm place out of the January wind, just a few leaps from 2 huge pecan trees.
An update: Two days ago, Window Squirrel was found dead in our neighbor's driveway, the apparent victim of a cat attack. Rest in peace, Window Squirrel.