Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Uber Robe

Like a lot of moms I have a threadbare, stained bathroom robe that I seem to spend a lot of time in. Sam told me the other day he was going to buy me a new one, but I'm rather fond of this one - it's not too hot or too cold and the color is pretty, but most of all because it has become a symbol of motherhood for me.

The other day when I hung it in the bathroom something in the pocket clanged, which led to me emptying the pockets. In the two small front pockets I had a bottle of clear fingernail polish, fingernail clippers, a wet wipe, a pack of Kleenex, an Allen wrench, a Lego Star Wars Storm Trooper (in tact), a set of earrings, crayons, a medicine dropper, a chicken Nugget, Band-Aids, my cell phone and a pen.

I have to admit a slight sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when I reach into those pockets and produce a clean Kleenex or a crayon or clean up a boo boo. If I could fit a flask in there for me, I'd be ready for just about anything.