Wednesday, July 16, 2008

May the Force Be With You

When I was a kid I loved the movie Grease. I saw it in the theatre 13 times. Over the years, thanks to videodisc, VHS, DVD and Ted Turner, I have now seen it at least 76 times. (I stopped counting in 1995.) I have always thought this was unusual and one of those interesting, did-you-know tidbits about me (obviously I'm not a very interesting person) but now that Sam is smack in the middle of an obsession with Star Wars, I'm beginning to realize my obsession wasn't all that unusual (which, alas, makes me an even less interesting person.)

For years Sam has liked Star Wars action figures. He even has a few of mine from my Stars Wars phase in the 70s and 80s. But a couple of months ago I bought the Star Wars DVD and he watches that movie everyday. The minute it is over he starts it again. He quotes the lines (usually slightly off "Demand your ships! May the force be with you!), hums the music and understands the plot lines.

A few days ago Sam and I stopped in Starbucks for a latte and chocolate milk (according to Sam, Starbucks' chocolate milks ROCKS. It should - it is nearly black with chocolate). He played with Boba Fett and Sandtroopers while we waited for our order. The guy next to me leaned over and said, "My mother would've kept all my Star Wars toys if she knew they'd be popular today." That's Sam in 30 years.