Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wii the People

So I bought a Wii.

Bryon and I talked about getting one for Christmas, but at that point, the boys had so many presents it seemed obnoxious. But for the past few months every time I went to Target (which is a lot) I'd check and of course, no Wii. But last week on a trip to Super Target to get baby socks, macaroni and cheese, contact solution and a coloring book (they don't call it Super Target for nothing), Sam and I found a Wii.

There was no golden light, no confetti, no Handel's Messiah playing in the background. Just a small white box and a jaded salesperson.

Although we did have a lot of fun with it the first couple of days, we also had our share of meltdowns and marathon play. (At some point the Wii tells you it's time to take a break. Not in our house. Screw you Wii! I have to shoot more skeet!)

And while I tried to justify that it is better than typical video or computer games - at least you are moving around and learning the rules of a sport - I soon realized you can just as easily play a game of tennis, a round of golf or box 10 rounds lying on the couch.