Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Do

Saturday I took Sam and Jake to the State Fair of Texas. It was ending on Sunday and I suddenly felt I was depriving them of something so very all-American if we didn't go. Plus I thought they were both of the age that they would really enjoy the fair. So we were there when it opened on Saturday and I was quite proud that we stayed almost 7 hours and did just about everything we could. Corny dogs (corn dogs if you are from anywhere outside Texas), nachos, fried jalapenos, the Texas Star, bumper cars, roller coasters, Frisbee dogs, Birds of the World, a petting zoo and the world's largest alligator (hopefully fake or dead, if not "Hello SPCA?")

But my fair fervor had its price. We'd had a full day by 4 p.m. Everyone was tired and frazzled. Too much sun, too much wind, too much fresh air. It made for a long evening. And to top it off the mixture of the day's elements threw Jake into an asthma attack that lasted until yesterday morning, when I finally took him to the doctor. For the next week we have to give him breathing treatments every 2 hours. Luckily it doesn't slow Jake down too much (come to think of it slowly Jake down a tad might be nice).

So this morning the alarm went off and I got up ready to face my routine after a day of irregularity. The first thing I noticed when I went into the boys' room was the smell. The second thing, Sam was not in his bed. The third thing, the puke and poo that was in his bed. Sometime during the night the dear little guy got sick. Instead of bothering anyone he changed his clothes, put the dirty ones in the hamper and slept on the bathroom floor.

This is one of those days when you wish your life was only taking care of your kids. Bryon and I both had full schedules this morning and since I was out yesterday with Jake it would be even harder to take another day. So I cleaned him up, started a load of laundry and brought him to work with me. (A side note, as Eleanor Roosevelt said, "A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water." And this morning proved that. In the matter of 30 minutes I showered, got three kids ready for school, fixed breakfast, washed out dirty sheets and dirty underwear - all while wearing 3-inch heels.)

But ... none of this matters because I am running off with the bulk garbage pick-up guy. He proposed to me yesterday afternoon as I ran a wheelbarrow full of bulk garbage to the curb ... in 3-inch heels.