Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TKO

It has taken me 30+ years to realize I'm kind of a loser. Before you roll your eyes let me explain. I freely admit that most of my life I have had self-confidence that is disproportionate to my abilities. It's not that I'm arrogant - but a lot of times I see or read something and think "Why is that so hard. I could do it." only to realize there's a reason there are professional artists, painters, chefs, sewers, plumbers, gardeners. I have painted numerous canvases. I have tried a bevy of household improvements projects (DIY of course). And I usually fail. So, back to my point, I'm realizing as I enter a certain phase of my life that I kind of suck.

The latest blow to my self-esteem came courtesy of George Foreman. Yes, in addition to being a loser I'm a sucker. I bought a George Foreman Lean Mean Grillin' Machine (heretofore the GFLMGM). In my defense, I bought it for Bryon's birthday. He was on a health kick, he likes to grill, it is 400 degrees here in the summer. I do recall that when he saw the GFLMGM for the first time he said "What do we need a f****** George Foreman grill for?"

"For your f****** birthday," I said.

I decided to try the GFLMGM for the first time today. And again, something that looks magical and simple on TV turned out to be anything but magical. First of all our house now smells like someone burned plastic bags filled with garlic. Secondly, it smokes more than Keith Richards, and thirdly, clean up is not a 'breeze.' Well maybe if you have a fire hose and hazmat gloves.

Tonight I'm trying the panini press.