Monday, September 15, 2008

Sorry To Disappoint

I am not a good cook. To be honest, I don't aspire to be. Sure one of these days I'd like to learn 10 good recipes that don't involve melting cheese, microwaving or Betty Crocker, but not because I care about food - I tend to think food is overrated - but because my long-suffering family deserves better. Most of our dinners are a variation on the same theme - a protein, a starch, a vegetable.

One night last week I got sidetracked while making dinner. When I put Sam's plate of fish and scalloped potatoes in front of him, he asked, "What is this?"

"Your dinner. Fish and potatoes."

"Is that it?"

"Yes. I was going to make green beans, but I got sidetracked. So instead of three things you just have two."

"But I expect three."

So what I realized is that even when you have low expectations, it is possible to be disappointed.