Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Reflections On Toy Saturday

So it's been two weeks since we instituted Toy Saturdays. Shortly after I came with the plan, not very long after I had nearly sprained my arm patting myself on the back at the genius of my plan, I read an online newsletter about how point systems don't work, how they backfire, how they teach kids that the only rewards are material ones and the only things worth doing earn you something tangible.

One one hand, we have had mild success with Toy Saturdays. The boys are doing lots of things they wouldn't do without continual reminders, and even helping with some tasks I dislike if promised a point or two.

But I am starting to rethink Toy Saturdays, especially after a conversation I had with Jake this morning. When I got out of the shower he was using the toilet and for the next 10 minutes he refused to wipe his butt until I promised to award him points.

"I'll give you points for wiping your behind if I get points for blinking," I told him. Because I have to tell you, some days, that takes just as much effort.