Sunday, January 23, 2011

Highs and Lows

Yesterday Sam competed in an academic fair. His category was spelling. You may remember he participated in the poetry competition last year. I could write about how I had many conversations with him about practicing or how I lectured him a couple of times on why he should practice. But I'd rather just say ... he won.

He spent the morning at the nearby high school taking the spelling test and we all piled into the school's auditorium in the afternoon for the awards ceremony, a ceremony that had no order or organization whatsoever. They jumped from first grade spelling to fifth grade poetry to third grade math, and of course, Sam's category was last. The auditorium was nearly empty, the stragglers were taking down the balloons. And then they announced Sam's category. Sixth place, tie. Fourth place, another student from Sam's school. Third place, another student from Sam's school. Second place. And then, first place ... Sam Romine. To be honest I didn't even hear his last name. As I have said before there are things the kids do every day that make me proud. Sam's compassion for a sick Abby last week, for example. But seeing Sam's beaming grin was a highlight.

And then this morning I got up before the kids, took a shower, made some tea and headed out to get the paper when I noticed ... a cat in the street. And yes, it was my cat. About the same time I started down the driveway my very kind neighbor Monty walked into the street and picked up the cat. "Monty, don't tell me that's Phineas." Yes, it was.

Sometime early this morning Phineas was hit by a car in front of our house. From what I saw, he wasn't banged up so my hope is that whatever happened happened quick. Monty and our neighbors Blackie and Cathey Ann buried him in the side yard this morning.

Jake and Sam were initially upset. Abby, well, she's four. But as I explained to them this morning, the sadness will pass. And it did, for them.

But, damn it, I'm a mess. He was a great cat. Sweet, patient, cuddly. He'd just recovered from the tail incident. He was only a year old.

Years ago, before the kids, one of my cats died unexpectedly and my vet sent me a sympathy card. I've always remembered the verse. If you are not a pet lover (bless your shriveled little black heart), you may find this melodramatic. But if you have ever owned a pet that has blessed you with its love, loyalty and gratitude, you'll forgive the melodrama.

Grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if I were beside you.
Twas heaven here with you,
I loved you so.


I will miss you Phineas.