Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What Is Love

Ever since she could speak Abby has been in love with Caleb, a classmate she's known since she started day care. This fall Caleb left day care to attend a neighborhood preschool, so Abby only sees him on Sunday at church. Most Sundays she prepares notes, drawings or wrapped trinkets to bring to him. And her love does not fade.

Last night we were coloring at the dining table when she told me we should invite Caleb over, move all my candles to the middle of the table, and they could be "romantic" with each other.

"Abby, I know you love Caleb, but why do you love him? What makes you love him instead of another of your classmates?" I asked, not really expecting any relevant answer.

"He's kind. He's funny. I love his curly hair. And when I look in his eyes I see my life."

Maybe she's on to something.