Thursday, April 26, 2012

Go Cowboys

So today is a first for me. Today I will be rooting for Jerry Jones. Today I will be cheering on the Dallas Cowboys.

You see, as part of a school project, Sam has to dress up like Jerry Jones and present Cowboys Stadium at an assembly tonight. To supplement the presentation he also had to create a 3-D replica of his chosen landmark. Why Sam chose Cowboys Stadium and not Stonehenge or Big Ben or the Texas Book Depository I don't know. The guy at Hobby Lobby - even the architect who lives across the street - looked at me with pity when I asked for advice on how to build it.

But build it we did. Out of $100 worth of cardboard and Styrofoam and wrapping paper and felt and rubber bands. How it will compare to the Texas Star Ferris Wheel with working gears and gondolas or the San Antonio River Walk with real rushing water, I have no idea.

And I don't want to know.

While Bryon takes Sam to his assembly I'm going to be across town with Jake at his music lesson because I'm too nervous. I'm nervous for Sam and his 2-minute speech about the history and architecture of the stadium. I'm nervous for Sam in his suit that is nearly one size too small ("It fits, right?" Bryon asked me late last night. "Sure, yes. It fits.") I'm nervous that his stadium will look like a pile of cardboard and felt and rubber bands - as it should since it was supposed to be built by a fourth grader. I'm nervous like it's my own grade.

So tomorrow I can go back to disliking Jerry Jones, but tonight I'm his biggest fan.