Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Optimism

There is a Dan Zanes song called Surrounded by Friendship with the lyrics, "the birds are my friends, they chirp and they warble, they remind me to be cheerful, even when their wings are wet with rain."

Today I am thinking of this song for two reasons. One, we are on our 24th hour of rain, and as I came in from dropping the kids off at school, our cardinal (I say our because he and his wife eat out of our feeder) was sitting on top of the house singing loudly. Even though his wings are wet with rain.

And secondly, because today is Abby's sixth birthday. And if anyone can remind you to be cheerful, it is Abby. Even when her brothers tease her, even when her boyfriend finds a new girlfriend (darn you Katy), even when her sixth birthday is rainy and gray.

"There are four things," she told me this morning at breakfast.

"What four things?" I asked.

"Today we have gym. Today is my snack day. Today is my leader day. And today is my birthday. Could it be better?"

So, Abby. My beautiful baby. Today, on your sixth birthday, thank you for reminding me to be cheerful, even in the rain.