Friday, March 07, 2014

A Sidenote

I think the person who invented bunk beds must've stepped back from his (or her) creation, smiling and proud, until one of his friends or family members spoke up, "Sure, it's clever. But how do you get the sheets on?"

Making bunk beds is one of the most harrowing of adult experiences. I have found no trick or short cut that makes it easier. It requires a flexibility, ingenuity and coordination that I obviously lack. In the 30 minutes or so it takes me to make two bunk beds I always manage to pinch fingers and slam my head against the ceiling.  I am as out of breath as if I'd run a mile. Today I managed to bruise my hip bone and ensnare one of my shoes in the bed.

Someone (and by someone I mean me because I think it would be a cash cow) needs to invent some sort of Rube Goldberg/Looney Tunes type of machine that makes bunk beds for you. Maybe a paper-towel set up that allows you to simply rip off the top sheet.

Sure, with bunk beds you can have a nice desk space or a cubby or a twee little hideout underneath. But think twice. Or three times. Or better yet, come to my house and make the beds a few times before you buy.