Monday, June 02, 2014

Under Where?

So I haven't written in a long time. It's not for a lack of material. I could write about the impending summer vacation. Or Sam's confirmation yesterday. Or the fact that we got really close to losing Tag, only to have him rebound like a much younger dog. I could write about Jake's fascination with hockey. Or that I haven't bought groceries in a month because we never eat together and we never eat at home. In the past four weeks Sam got in a fist fight at school and Jake threatened to burn down a teacher's house. Summer needs to start soon before my boys are expelled.

But instead I want to tell of an incident Saturday morning that is so typical of my life these days. Bryon and Jake were up very early for a hockey game. Sam was at a sleepover. When Abby and I woke up I jumped out of bed, and threw on a t-shirt and jeggings so we could run to the store to shop for an impromptu afternoon play date. If you aren't familiar with jeggings they are a cross between jeans and leggings. They feel like tights but look like jeans. Comfortable but rarely attractive.

We get to the store, grab a cart and about the time we hit the bread aisle I notice something bulky in my jeggings. Thank goodness jeggings are tight because after I hid behind a display of cakes I realized I had some other clothes stuck in my pants.

I stilted around the grocery store for 10 minutes, got all the play date supplies and headed home to find an extra pair of underwear in my pants. I felt ridiculous. And stupid. And thankful the underwear didn't end up on the grocery store floor. And it made me realize I need to slow down a little bit.