Wednesday, November 16, 2005

O Holy Night Before Christmas

I think I've confused Sam. This is the first Christmas he seems to really understand what is coming up. But between our threats that Santa is always watching and knows when he's been naughty and nice and our recent discussions about Jesus and God, Sam seems to have gotten his stories mixed up. First was last week's reference to God and Jack Frost shacking up. Last night it was a conversation about the birthday of Jesus. When I told him about the wisemen bringing gifts to the baby Jesus, he asked if Santa was there, too, and if he brought Hot Wheels.

I know it's early but I've started listening to Christmas carols. One particularly spirited morning I thought we'd listen to the Elvis Christmas CD on the way to school. But Sam wasn't having it. With every song I played, he'd yell from the backseat, "No, not that one! I want to hear the one about Jesus AND Santa."