Friday, January 06, 2006

Back In the Saddle

I haven't checked in in a while. Suffering from those post-holiday blues, I suppose. We had a great holiday, enjoyed Christmas and were lucky to have many 70 and even 80-degree days. One of these days I'll post some pictures to prove it.

So, just like we never left, here we are back. The kids have adjusted much better than I have. They've even reached some milestones. Jake is walking all the time now. Like a little drunk, bow-legged man he plods around the house in circles, sometimes pivoting on one foot with this look on his face like "Look at what I can DO!"

And for the past 8 nights - yes, we are counting - Sam has gone to sleep on his own, in his own bed. This may not sound like much but it is for us. As a toddler Sam's been a good sleeper - once he's asleep and in his own bed. But for a variety of reasons over the past few months, we got into the bad habit of either letting Sam fall asleep in our bed ("the big bed") and carrying him to his bed around 11:30, or Bryon would sit next to Sam's bed reading until he fell asleep, or I would sleep in Sam's bed until Sam was asleep, then carry myself to the big bed at 11:30.

So one night 8 nights ago, for a reason I've forgotten, I convinced Sam to get into his own bed with Woo and Ducky and let me leave the room with the promise I would check in every 5 minutes. I sealed the deal by agreeing to leave my new pink robe on the bed with him. And so it has gone. Every night since we head upstairs at 8:30, read one chapter of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" in the big chair, get into bed with the aforementioned accoutrements, say a prayer, kiss goodnight, de-robe and leave the room. Some nights it is easier than others, but on most nights he doesn't even stay awake past the first check in.

I'm very proud of him and amazed at the time it frees up for me, but it's a bittersweet success.