Monday, July 24, 2006

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Over the weekend we moved Jake out of his crib. I've never understand how parents 'transition' their kids from one phase to another. We just have to do it. One day, crib. Next day, bed.

See when I want something done, I want it done now. So, when we decided we were going to put Sam and Jake in the same room (Jake's current room) and move all the baby stuff to the smaller room (Sam's current room) I wanted it done yesterday. And it all revolved around moving Jake to a big bed. A toddler bed anyway.

So Saturday afternoon we moved furniture from room to room and set up the beds while continuously praising what a wonderful set up this was, in an effort to pre-empt any concerns Sam would have. He's had the same room since he was a baby. But he took to it just fine, although he doesn't seem to get that this is a long-term set up. Every day he tells Jake "I get to sleep in your room tonight." ("And for the next 18 years," I whispered to Bryon.)

Jake loves his little bed. He has lined it with teddy bears - every lovey he has is a teddy bear, for some odd reason - and much like me he has to lay down on it every time he passes it. Only once has he got up during the night and shuffled into our room. The first morning I woke up before he did (but stayed in bed of course) and listened for him. I imagine he woke up as he normally does and started to babble, then complain. Then ... pause. He must've realized he could get out on his own. I few minutes later he padded up to my side of the bed and said "ELLOW! Boos Koos?"