Thursday, July 06, 2006

That's My Mama

Our church often talks about its parishioners' contributions to the church in terms of 'prayers, presence, gifts and service.' I thought it was an appropriate analogy for family too. If you give to your family in the form of prayers, presence, gifts and service, you are doing pretty good.

Well, lately, I can't say I'm hitting these goals. I say a lot of prayers, mainly to help me get through the day so I can go to bed, or that Jake will sleep just 30 minutes longer in the morning, or that I won't have to pull over at Whataburger to throw up. And I do OK in the gifts department. Maybe even better now that I'm sucking in the presence and service areas. But lately I'm just a loser as a mom (and spouse - there you go, Bryon, I said it. I know it and I said it).

I spend a lot of time on the couch. I don't fix food unless someone asks for it and then it is whatever I can microwave the quickest. I even quit putting sprigs of parsley on the kids' dinner plates (kidding - I never did this and if you did, you should probably stop reading).

In spite of all that, Sam still likes me to read to him and tuck him in at night. Last night we skipped reading altogether and went straight to the big bed. We were cuddled there watching a Jimmy Neutron cartoon when he looked over at me, grinning, and slapped my shoulder twice. Not a hit, more like what you'd do if your husband hit a home run for his company's softball team or your neighbor swept your porch for no reason. Then he turned right back to his cartoon.

It seemed like a grown up thing to do. Just a 'glad you're here, I like you' gesture that made me smile and briefly forget some of the other stuff.