Monday, September 18, 2006

Family Vacation


So we just got back from our first family vacation. We decided now was a good time to get the kids to a beach since it may be awhile before we have the opportunity again. Although it was beautiful and time away is always good, it made me wonder ... Did our parents ever enjoy family vacations? The kids seemed to have a good time but I'm not sure Bryon and I have ever gotten along worse.

Sure, there were perfect moments. But for every time I found myself sitting in the pristine blue ocean with Jake as angel fish swam around our legs, there were the 3 a.m. fits where you find yourself asking the desk clerk for leche and he's offering you a bottle of coffee creamer. For every sand castle there's the moment during your lovely walk on the beach when someone's telling you he's going to poop his pants if you don't find a bathroom (and no, I'm not talking about Bryon).


I'm still not sure what I learned from the trip. Could be Jake's too young. Or maybe we should've stayed closer to home. Or maybe Bryon and I had high expectations when we should've just relaxed more. Ask me again in 10 years when we're brave enough to try it again.