Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My Little Lighthouse

At any given time there are several water bottles in my car, all containing different amounts of water. They come in handy because someone is always wanting a drink. Our hot weather and recent news I've heard that heat forces cancer-causing chemicals from plastic into water are causing me to rethink this method.

In any case, there was a half-empty (half-full?) bottle in Sam's seat this morning and conveniently enough he wanted a drink. But for some reason when he drinks from a water bottle he also sucks out all the air, so not only is it really noisy but the bottle ends up deflated. That wouldn't do this morning. He wanted a perfectly shaped bottle. My solution - I put the cap on the bottle and jerked it hard, several times, hoping the force of the water would "fill out" the crunched bottle. It didn't work. It didn't work several times.

I gave up and handed the bottle to Sam. Then I noticed he took off the cap and attempted to push the plastic out from the inside. It would've worked if his little fingers were longer. So, after watching my 4-year-old tackle the problem, I realized there was another solution. Seems trivial, but I was quite proud of him.