Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Under My Skin

Several years ago on the TV show Ally McBeal, someone asked Ally why her problems were always so important. "Because they're mine," was her response. So, in that vein, here are the things that are taking advantage of my irritability-prone state and irking me today.

1. Every night at 12:30 Jake storms out of bed and into our room. It would be one thing if he would climb peacefully into bed with me and go back to sleep. (I would happily deal with that issue a year from now when it becomes a problem.) Instead, he turns into a WWE wrestler, throwing water bottles, knocking over fans. If he could curse I'm sure he would let loose a string of obscenities worthy of a professional athlete getting ejected from a game.

2. The heat. Forget about man living on Mars. Let's see if Texas is inhabitable five years from now.

3. Everytime you flush a toilet in our house, the kitchen sink gurgles. I don't know what this means. I don't think it could possibly be good.

4. I saw a man urinating into a beer bottle outside CVS yesterday. Life in the big city.

5. One wall of my closet has fallen in and exposed the crawlspace of our house. The crawlspace, where there are mice and squirrels and humid, 110 degree heat. This is the closet for my non-maternity clothes and I am convinced IF I ever get to wear them again, they will be rotten.

6. I read on CNN where 50,000 domestic dogs were beaten to death because of a rabies scare in China. I know there is violence in the Middle East and an interminable war in Iraq and an imbecile president, but things like this stick with me.

7. And lastly, just to end with a little levity, I am deeply saddened that I will never get to be a contestant on Rockstar: Supernova.