Thursday, November 16, 2006

Grouse

Jake was up at 5:30 this morning. And despite my best efforts, nothing I did made him happy. We ended up sitting in the big chair, watching Teletubbies for the millionth time. I was a little frustrated and cold. Cold because Jake will not let me wear my robe - the robe that Sam loves, brings to me every night, wants to sleep with. And frustrated because Jake insisted on holding 3 pancakes, a bottle of 'chocky' milk, 3 board books, 1 Matchbox car and 2 'Mama' bears and I am too big to share a chair with a 2-year-old holding 3 pancakes, a bottle of 'chocky' milk, 3 board books, 1 Matchbox car and 2 'Mama' bears. But eventually the sun came up, 7 a.m. rolled around, Sam got up, more breakfast was made, I showered ...

I have a theory, nothing revolutionary, that despite how early anyone is up, the last 15 minutes before leaving the house will be chaos. Shoes are lost, coats are removed, toys are dropped. And so it went this morning. Jake wanted to wear tennies, no stompers. No one wanted to wear coats. And even though there had been a verbal agreement that Sam get the Batman toy and Jake get the Superman toy, Sam wanted them both. Most of the drive to school Sam and/or Jake were in tears, at any one time one of them crying "NO FAIR!"

And so I did what I rarely, if ever, do in front of the kids. I lashed out at their dad.

"You know what I think is no fair. The fact that I'm the first one up and I bust my hump to get everyone up and fed and dressed and out the door on time and every day I'm 45 minutes late to work so I can drop you off at school even though your dad works 50 yards away and no one EVER says thank you."

Sam broke the silence a couple of minutes later: "Thank you."