Thursday, June 07, 2007

The World Is His Toilet

We were driving home from school last night when Jake said the words that the parent of a potty-training toddler hates to hear: "Mom, I have to tee tee!"

"OK, Jakey. We're almost home so if you hold it a little longer, you can go on the big potty," I told him, hoping the promise of a toilet would encourage him to hold it (I know that usually works for me.)

He didn't mention again and we soon pulled into our driveway. Sam and Abby were both asleep (Sam in a position I can't quite explain but envy) so I got Jake out and headed to the door. I'd unlocked and opened the door but when I turned around he wasn't there so I headed back down the driveway to see where he was.

There, in the backyard, buns to the world, was Jake, peeing in the grass.

"Jakey, what'cha doing?" I asked.

He turned around and looked at me with the most proud and stunned look as if to say, "Hey hey, did you know I could do THIS!"