Thursday, July 05, 2007

Someday

So the other night I came across a children's book called Someday by Alison McGhee and Peter Reynolds. It's a children's book only in that the illustrations are wispy and charming and the 'story' is about a mother and daughter ... and it was in the children's section. I thumbed through it and bought 2 copies. I thought I could send one to my mom or my sister or give one to my friend Joslyn.

I was in the middle of methodically cleaning up today when I finally picked it up and read it through. It's short, maybe 20 pages, with one verse on each page about "Someday, I will ..." or "Someday, you will ..."

I stopped for a moment and looked at the things I was putting up. A pair of blue striped training pants that Jake won't wear at home but comes home from school in quite often; Sam's Woo, which he doesn't seem to need much anymore; drawings of flowers and rainbows and Ninja Turtles, and I was suddenly very sad ... and calm ... and happy. And just like I do every day when I wake up and when I go to bed, I said a little prayer that I would be patient and wise and silly. And that I would hug until they stopped and I would put down the laundry when they called my name. Because 'someday' I'll regret it if I don't.