Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gore

(not the cinematic kind or the enlightening, presidential kind)

I'm beginning to think that Bryon travels with a voodoo doll of me. He's travelling right now - a fact I don't often divulge for fear someone persistent and crazy enough would know that I'm alone and track me down at home, but, since it is integral to this story, Bryon's out of town.

One of the first times he travelled after Abby was born, both boys came down with strep throat. The pediatrician urged me to separate her from the boys. I'm a new mom, home by myself with three kids. How exactly am I supposed to separate them? Another time I had two flat tires in less than 24 hours.

Which brings me to yesterday. I wasn't sure how the morning would pan out since I needed have to have all of us up and out to get Sam to school by 7:50, but for whatever reason, everybody was up at 5 a.m. Getting out the door by 7:30 was a cinch.

On to a dentist appointment at 9:30. I don't mind the dentist. This particular time I had to get a filling, nothing unpleasant but not something I would want to do every morning. But for whatever reason the dentist wanted to talk about the scar on my chin (car accident, 1990), which led to his lovely anecdote about a 5-year-old patient who basically lost his bottom lip and teeth in a scooter accident.

Let me stop to say that I have a weak stomach and I faint easily. I have fainted in churches, classrooms, amusement parks and national monuments across this great land. It's a wonder I didn't faint when I had my kids. Oh wait, I did!

So here I am rethinking my car accident, hearing about a scooter accident, all the while my head is about 45 degrees below horizontal and the dentist's drill is WHHHHEEEEEing away. I started to panic a little. But, 30 minutes later he was finished and I was on my way to work.

At 11:06 a.m. I sat down at my desk, docked my computer and took off my coat. At 11:28 a.m. Miss Phyllicia, Jake's teacher, called to tell me he shut his hand in the bathroom door and I needed to come look at it.

Thirty minutes later I'm at Jake's school. His finger is gauzed and wrapped. He looks like he's wearing that #1 fan finger. He's miserable but before I can take him home, I have to sign off on the incident report. And before I can sign off on the incident report, I have to look at his bloody finger.

In a hotel somewhere in San Antonio, Bryon is laughing and poking my voodoo doll.