Thursday, January 31, 2008

You Gotta Have Friends

In response to my blog about growing my hair, my sweet friend Carol wrote:

I don't think you should grow your hair out. Not only am I selfish with my friends and do not like change but I think your short 'do makes you so chic, so distinctive, so classy, so elegant, so very Ann Romine! Forget what the kiddos at the daycare are saying. They are merely reflecting what our culture is teaching us about gender stereotypes around beauty. And who wants these kids thinking Jessica Simpson is so great?

It is our jobs as smart, up-and-coming, educated women to teach our young ones that beauty and femininity is not defined by hairstyle, skin texture (hello Botox and Restalin), shape or attire.

And no, you do not look like a boy. If you did, I'd tell you. You are actually one of the most feminine and graceful people I've ever met. That's why the short haircut is so amazing on you. It gives the public a little "cognitive dissonance." Very Audrey Hepburn-esque if I may say so myself. So there!!!


While it helps that Carol thinks I am feminine and graceful, I just think this is a great comment. And while I do not want to look like Jessica Simpson, I do want to look like this:




image via Simple Lovely via The Sartorialist