Friday, May 09, 2008

Thanks Walt

The kids are big into 101 Dalmatians now. It's in the DVD player in the van, and although we used to say the van DVD was only for long trips, I have come to love and respect the van DVD player. And now that I let them watch it every day on the drive to school I don't even bother with the headphones (when you give in, you give in BIG) so for the past couple of weeks I've heard 101 Dalmatians 101 times.

If you don't remember, it is very charming. Darling couple, darling flat in London. But one thing I didn't remember about the movie is the language.

Let me explain.

It must've been very common in Walt Disney's time to refer to everyone as an idiot.

"Oh Roger," Anita purrs coquettishly. "You are an idiot."

"Oh Pongo, you renegade, you idiot," Roger says to his beloved dog.

"Jasper, you idiot. You imbecile," Cruela De Vil yells at her bungling accomplice.

Needless to say 'idiot' and 'imbecile' have been tossed around our house a lot lately.

That said Sam has learned some interesting vernacular. The other day he was telling me how he managed to climb a tree in our backyard. "I stepped on that branch, held onto that branch, swung my leg up, and Bob's Your Uncle, I was at the top."