Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Perspective

Yesterday I brought Sam to work with me, and it was an eye-opening experience. By the end of the day he was convinced I work in the coolest place ever, and I have to admit, having a little companion to pal around with brightened my mood. Maybe there's something more to Bring Your Kid To Work Day than just bringing your kid. It gives you a new perspective on the surroundings that well, surround you, every day.

We started the morning by getting coffee and chocolate milk at the Starbucks counter in the cafeteria. I let him keep the change. He colored at my desk for the next 90 minutes or so while I did what required me to be in the office. At 11 we went to the cafeteria for lunch. It had just opened so it was well stocked.

"You can have just about anything you can think of. Pizza, a cheeseburger, a sandwich, yogurt, soup."

"You mean I just tell them what I want and they'll make it for me?"

"Yep. Kind of like at home."

"Kind of. But not really."

We ate lunch outside by the pond and fountain where the ducks congregate. After lunch we walked up to the visitor lobby where there's a large compass mounted to glass on the floor that lets you see the ground six floors beneath you. After a nervous security guard shooshed Sam from laying in the middle of the glass, suspended six floors up, we went back to my desk. While I listened in a conference call he played typing games and Cubis on my laptop. I gave him a gopher stuffed animal I'd received as an event giveaway. He drew a soldier costume for it, replete with helmet and walkie-talkie, and taped the costume on the gopher while I finished work.

On the way out two coworkers stopped to say hello and compliment him on the gopher. He was nearly bursting with pride.

On the way home he couldn't stop talking about the cool things at my office - my cube with our family pictures in it, the gopher, my cubemate Cindy who gave him candy, the automatic towel dispensers in our bathrooms, the cafeteria, the duck pond, the best chocolate milk ever.

And while it would take some convincing for me to believe I work in the coolest place ever, it does look a little better to me today.