Monday, November 03, 2008

The So-So World of Disney

A few weeks ago I bought tickets for Sam and me to go to the Magical Music of Walt Disney at the Dallas Symphony on Saturday - one of those amateur symphony nights where they play the music from Disney movies while the movie shows overhead. I thought it would be a great way to introduce him to the symphony and a fun 'date' night for the two of us. We could get dressed up, maybe eat out together before, have cake somewhere after. First problem, that holds little appeal for a boy. (Thank goodness I have a daughter.) But I was able to get a clean shirt on him and convince him it would be fun and off we went.

Now I know I was more excited than Sam - I had high expectations for this evening. And I know that I am not a musician or a symphony conductor, nor do I work for the symphony but I think I could've put together a better program in my backyard with an overhead projector, a karaoke machine and a kazoo.

The movies that played during the music were actually stills from the films. Some of them were not even stills, they were sketches. Beautiful, yes, but lost on a 7-year-old. To top it off the 'presentation' wasn't in sync with the music so while you're hearing Zippity Do Da you're watching Chim Chim Cheree. But the most disappointing part was the music and movies chosen for the program. Snow White? No. Cinderella? No. Toy Story, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp? No, no, no, no.

How about those Disney classics the Rescuers Down Under and Hunchback of Notre Dame?

They did save the Lion King for the end of the evening. By then, Sam was sound asleep. But, other than that breathtaking opening scene of the Lion King, the rest of the music is ... well, annoying.

The whole evening reminded of one of those straight-to-DVD '3-quels' Disney does. You know the one. The Little Mermaid has married (she gives up her singing voice for a man, don't you know?) and opened a Cinnabon in Des Moines. The animation is choppy, the songs are lame and you are left lamenting that they truly don't make 'em like they used to.