Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Mom Can Beat Up Your Mom

On the nights we eat dinner as a family, we encourage conversation by playing "High/Low." Very simply each person tells the high point of his or her day and the low point. Although it can be a good way to find out things about the kids' days they wouldn't ordinarly share, many nights the boys get around the game by saying their high point was they didn't have a low, the low point, they didn't have a high. I guess that could be a realistic way to look at your life every day, but come on, one high, one low - is that too much?

Tonight I was particularly excited to share my High/Low. You see, I had a confrontation with a coworker today, something that never happens to me. And although I probably didn't present my best argument, I was right and others backed me up. While I hate conflict I was proud that I stood up for myself. Hence, my High/Low.

But, to keep the attention of a 4-year-old and a 7-year-old I had to embellish a little. My dinner table version had me on the floor - wrestling, hair pulling, groin kicking, face slapping and name calling.

"And that's why she's in the hospital tonight," I told Jake.

I swear that child has never looked at me with more pride. He laid his head on my arm and stroked my hand, "I love you Mama!"

I don't know if he suddenly realized you don't cross Mama or what, but apparently to get some respect from your kids, you need to be able to kick some butt.