Sunday, December 28, 2008

Old Dog, New Tricks

All my life I have been fascinated with beehives, ant hills, hornet nests - microcosms of efficiency and teamwork. I like to poke at them, scrap off the tops and watch the occupants scramble through chaos to restore order.

Remember this as I introduce ... Tag.

You see 'round 'bout September or October I realized my family had settled itself into a nice little groove. Some might say rut, but with three kids, two cats, two full time jobs, a rut is just fine. Our schedules were smooth, our kids were healthy, our house was in decent shape. And that's when I started thinking about a dog, started thinking about poking the beehive, digging in the ant hill and watching us scramble to restore order.

I have to admit things happened fast once we (I) made the decision and we soon found ourselves at a kennel in north Dallas meeting the dog. I won't be smug, I'm sure we'll have our share of issues, but he seems like a good dog. He's patient with the kids, house trained, calm, likes walks and enjoys laying at your feet watching TV. In short, our kind of dog.

Now if our cats would just come back ...