Monday, November 24, 2008

In the Spirit

Every year our church kicks off the holiday season with a family service called Hanging of the Greens. The choirs sing and the bell choirs perform. We all go forward and hang an ornament on the two tall trees at the front of the sanctuary. The church goes dark and the trees are lit. Afterwards there are cookies and wassail. I thought it would kick start my holiday spirit because, once again, I can't believe we are already staring down Christmas.

Abby wasn't buying it. She preferred to wander the halls of the church with Bryon. But Sam, Jake and I were enjoying the service, the quiet, the spirit when Jake loudly asked, "Do you pee from your butt? You don't have a wenis so how do you pee?"

I may not yet have the Christmas spirit but thank God I have a sense of humor.