Thursday, March 12, 2009

Random Observations of a Remodel

1. I am amazed you can remove an old hot water heater and install a new tankless one in less than one day. I am equally amazed that doesn't mean you'll have hot water.

2. I am humbled that when pressed, I can get ready for work using 2 cups of lukewarm water. And I look the same as if I'd taken a 20-minute shower.

3. I now understand how one renovation leads to another. Case in point, the kitchen demolition left a fine, grimy dust all over the house. Even though I dusted, swiffed and wet swiffed, it's still there. I guess we'll repaint next.

4. The renovation makes Tag the Dog very nervous. Hopefully not that animal premonition sort of nervous. But yesterday when I got back from picking Sam up at school he was laying as close as possible to Demolition Man Jose, while chunks of drywall, chicken wire and wood were falling from the ceiling. I think I could hear Jose, under his breath, cursing me and my perro loco.

5. Apparently our upstairs bathroom is about to fall through the kitchen ceiling because the joists are sagging (so are mine but I'm not about to get a major renovation). And since we have to replace the joists, why not replace the tub. And while we're replacing the tub, let's re-tile. See observation #3.

6. Despite the huge increase in our carbon footprint and the just plain laziness of it, it is really convenient to have one of those industrial garbage bins outside your front door. Milk jug empty? Dirty diaper stinking up the garbage can? Toss them in the front yard.

7. Lastly, it is disconcerting to hear BANG BANG BANG CRACK CRASH followed by peals of laughter.