Thursday, February 19, 2009

Your Mama's So Dumb ....

Bryon's been out of town the past couple of mornings, which means I have to get all the kids ready to leave by 7:40 or so in order to get Sam to school on time. I suppose I could just get Jake and Abby in the car and come back home after drop off to get them ready, but when you've got momentum you have to use it.

Most of the morning went well. I guess. The dog ate the first round of breakfast I put on the table, but since Jake didn't want his anyway, Sam wanted cold cereal and Abby likes untoasted Pop Tarts, it doesn't take much effort to make a second breakfast. Second obstacle - Jake wanted to wear his bathrobe over his clothes. (Fine. At least he agreed to get dressed.)

So at 7:48, two minutes before the bell rings, we pulled out of the driveway even though Jake refused to sit down and buckle his seat belt. He bounced around the car for a second before yelling at me to stop the car.

"Jake we are going to be late. You have 10 seconds to sit down and buckle your seat belt."

"You have 10 seconds to stop being stupid!" he told me.

And my witty response, honed from nearly 40 years of experience.

"Yeah? Well!"