Friday, April 24, 2009

Restored

Last night about 10 p.m. I was sitting in bed, working on my laptop, flipping through channels. It was warm and windy so I had the windows open. All of a sudden I heard a car and voices and our back gate open. "The bike stealers are back!" I thought.

Instead, it was our wonderful neighbors, Blackie and Cathey Ann. Earlier in the day over the fence I'd told her about Jake's bike. And that night she and Blackie drove our alley looking for it. Sure enough it was parked near the end. No one had taken it. We'd just left it.

I am overwhelmed by their gesture and ashamed that I immediately assumed someone had taken it.

As I said yesterday, it would restore my faith in humanity if someone would bring the bike back. And someone did. Faith in humanity restored. My cup overflows.