Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Scary Spray

A couple of nights ago Jake woke up screaming. He'd had a nightmare about the movie Madagascar 2. He told me what the nightmare was about, and at the time, as I sat on the side of his bed trying to console him, I remember thinking, "Geesh, that is pretty scary." But all I remember now is he thought things were crawling on his walls.

Long story short, he ended up sleeping with me. With me, Abby and Bryon actually. Between Abby's wet cough and Jake's feet fidgets, I didn't sleep very well, needless to say.

So last night when Jake pre-empted the whole nightmare issue by asking outright if he could sleep with me, I told him it wouldn't be necessary because I had ... Scary Spray. Scary Spray is actually a can of Oust, which works particularly well because 'oust' makes sense and it is odorless. You don't want to have to explain why Scary Spray smells like an evergreen tree.

I told him once he got into bed, I would spray Scary Spray around the windows and the door and it would keep all scary thoughts out. I even turned on the ceiling fan and sprayed some into it, to spread it around the room for safe measure. He seemed convinced until I started spraying some under the bed to keep away monsters and on the stairs to prevent anyone but Dad from walking up. At that point I realized I'd probably introduced some fears he hadn't had on his own, so I quit spraying.

I don't know if it was the spray or the fact that he was worn out, but he slept all night long and said he didn't have any scary thoughts.

Now if there could be spray that gave you a good night sleep while sleeping with a squirmy kid, a hacking baby and another adult in a queen-sized bed.