Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Truth

On Friday Sam brought home a bean plant in a green crepe paper vase and a pinch pot in a brown lunch bag he'd decorated himself. My favorite thing about the whole 'gift' was the lunch bag drawing. It was of me in a tall chef's hat serving what appeared to be a Thanksgiving dinner. Me watering colorful flowers. Me with Felix and Tag the Dog. In every illustration I have a wide grin on my face, and so do those around me.

This is not my life.

In addition to Sam's gift, I got some flowers and a card and a coupon book of favors (a clean room, some peace and quiet, a chocolate cookie all to myself) but here is my hang up. Sunday morning started as every day does, with someone licking me or kicking me or screaming at me to wipe their butt. Luckily, this morning it was Abby, who thrust her feet in my face and demanded "Bite em Mama." What can I say - she likes to have her toes chewed.

But it is near 11 o'clock. I am still in my pajamas. I am chin deep in laundry and toys. Bryon is on his way out of town and I am thinking "This is Mother's Day?" I know how pitiful and ungrateful that sounds. It is difficult to write.

That's why I think there shouldn't be an official Mother's Day. It's like Valentine's Day or New Year's Eve. It's hard to please me on those days - do nothing, and I resent it. Do something - and it's not enough.

This is what I wish. I wish that I had enough energy to want to play outside at 8:30 at night after working all day, trying to cook and clean up. I wish my boss and co-workers didn't get the better part of me all day long, leaving a shell of me to my family. I wish it didn't bother me that the house was a mess. I wish I listened to all those people who tell you, "They grow up so fast. These times will be gone before you know it." I wish I sometimes did not want to run screaming from the house. I wish I sometimes did not want to lock myself in the bathroom. I wish I could make myself get up earlier to enjoy the quiet before the day, walk the dog, say a prayer. I wish the kids respected me enough to put their shoes by the door without me asking 100 times a day. And I wish I didn't care about any of these things.

Above all, I wish every day were Mother's Day. That we could all get the love and help we need. And that there were fewer fights and tears and days like today.