Thursday, January 21, 2010

PDA

All my kids have gone through clingy stages. Off and on for 8 years our morning drop offs have included crying, outstretched arms, heartbreaking wails. But what's different about Abby, right now anyway, is that she is very attached to me all the time. She wants to sit in my lap, touch my cheek, intertwine arms and legs. In most cases, if she and I are in the same room, we are attached.

Jake is affectionate too, but mostly when someone else wants to be. He is happy sitting in my lap because it means no one else is.

Dining has become quite an exercise because we have to find ways that I can sit next to both Jake and Abby without Jake and Abby sitting near each other. This morning we 'solved' the problem by letting Abby sit on my lap facing me and Jake sitting on my lap, back to back with Abby. All the while Abby was eating Rice Krispies, Jake was eating pancakes and I was trying to sip tea.

Sam was visibly bothered by the whole endeavor.

"I don't even get to sit NEXT to you," Sam complained.

By lunch he was whistling a different tune however.

At lunch I had to return two school library books that were woefully overdue. I promised Jake I would stop in and see him. By the time we visited, returned the library books and re-joined his friends for recess, Sam was eating his lunch. I stopped to talk to him, deep in boy conversation with three of his friends, and although he was courteous to me, he was distracted by his friends. After a couple of minutes I told him I was going to leave.

"OK, bye," he said, mindlessly waving me off.

I got down close to his face and mussed his hair. "Oh come on Sam. Don't you want a hug and a moochie?" I asked him. (Moochie is Abby's nickname for a kiss.)

"Uh, no," he said. And although I laughed it off, I know the day is coming when he won't want moochies. He won't want me to even SAY the word moochie. And that's probably when I'll want them the most.