Thursday, March 04, 2010

A Thing of Beauty

Last week Jake had a performance at school. He and his classmates dressed as cowboys and sang about Texas in Spanish to the tune of BINGO. After the program we all crammed into the cafeteria for frito pie and cookies. At one point I turned around and saw Sam sitting on the floor next to Mia, his "girlfriend." I wanted to ask if I could take their picture together but thought it might embarrass them both. I did ask, however, and before I could finish the request, Mia threw her arm around Sam and flashed her best smile. Sam was a little more coy. I love the photo of the two of them. I'm going to put it in his memory box. He may not remember Mia but I will.

Yesterday Jessica Simpson was on Oprah to counter all the gossip about her and to talk about a VH1 show she did on beauty around the world. I had the show paused because Sam and Jake were playing so loudly inches from my face I couldn't hear it. It happened to be paused on a flattering shot of Ms. Simpson.

"Who's she?" Sam asked.

"She's a singer and celebrity. Why?"

"I don't know," Sam said, with a familiar grin. He was asking because she was pretty.

"You don't have to embarrassed. Many people think she's pretty."

"She's nice to look at."

"Like Mia?" I asked. (No wonder he's coy. I tease him relentlessly.)

"Yes, Mia's pretty."