Sunday, January 31, 2010

Point of Purchase

You know how as you are checking out of the grocery store you may impulsively pick up a chap stick or a candy bar or a Tide pen? Me too. Except I get this:



This is Phineas.

Abby, Jake and I went to PetSmart for a new fish tank filter and came out with a new fish tank filter - and Phineas. Jake named him after the title character on Phineas and Ferb, one of his favorite cartoons.

"But when are we going to get Ferb?" Jake asked.

As my sister said, "The 'ferb' is going to the hit the fan" when Bryon comes home from a camping trip and realizes I've added another member to our already large, patchwork family.

Abby loves the new kitty. Imagine every "little girl meets kitten" cliche and I've seen it played out in the past 24 hours. She has swaddled the kitty, tried to bottle feed him, carried him around like a sack of potatoes. Very soon I expect to see him in a pink dress and hat.

Jake also loves the kitty, but he was a little disillusioned when he realized the kitty loves everyone else too.

Tag the Dog was the first to run and greet the kitten, and he was rewarded with a swipe to the nose. He has kept his distance, but every once in awhile he flashes me that, "You've GOT to be kidding" look.

As you may know it has taken about one year for Black Cat and Felix, our other two cats, to get used to Tag the Dog. While neither of them rushed over and hugged the new addition, they haven't packed their bags either.

And then there's me who loves the little guy and how portable and affectionate and loyal he is. But, if I've learned anything (and apparently I haven't or I wouldn't have adopted the cat), it's that no good deed goes unpunished.