Friday, February 05, 2010

Thick Skinned

Let me start by saying I love my ob/gyn. She is compassionate, gentle, and after all, she brought my three kids into this world. Hers was the first face they saw.

This week I had my yearly exam. She doesn't talk much during the breast exam. I would guess it's a little like patting your head and rubbing your stomach - it helps to concentrate. It's hard to make witty banter while examining someone breasts.

During the pelvic exam, however, please chit chat. Despite my willingness to talk about anything to take my mind off what is actually happening - I blather endlessly about my kids, my sister, cookies, Christmas - I was a little taken aback when she started my exam with, "It's good to see you've put on a few pounds."

I think she could tell I was disappointed and she immediately backtracked. But I have to say, it worked. I don't remember a thing about the exam.

And then today ... I was in Target looking at the Boots cosmetics. The Boots representative asked me if I needed help and I asked her to explain the difference between three "rejuvenating" creams.

"This one has Retinol so I don't recommend it if you don't like Retinol or haven't used it before. And this one, this one I recommend for my 25-35 year old clients. So I think you would want this one," she said as she handed me the third choice.

The choice for the 35+ crowd with fat pelvises, apparently.