Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What a Girl Wants

In fifth grade my "boyfriend" gave me a heart-shaped pendant necklace for Valentine's Day. I was so embarrassed that I had to open it alone in the girl's bathroom. (Maybe that jump started my lifelong gawkiness with jewelry.) I'm sure his mom picked it out at the local SuperRX, and he was probably as mortified to give it to me as I was to get it. I don't think he was my boyfriend after that.

So I had to laugh the other day when Sam asked me what he should get his girlfriend for Valentine's Day. He then informed me, matter of factly, that Mia has been his girlfriend for two years. I knew they were friends, and I actually have teased him about her - the way they giggle and wave at each other - but boyfriend and girlfriend. Hmm.

So now I'm the perplexed mom at SuperRX (Target in my case) trying to figure out what would be appropriate for an 8-year-old girl.

I settled on three things - not that he'll give her all three - but I thought he could pick. Since they've been dating for one quarter of their lives, he should know her well.

First, you can't go wrong with a heart-shaped box of candy - except in public school where they don't allow candy. Second, a sweet little bird notebook and matching pencils. Third, a little flowery, hippy coin purse. I don't care which one he picks. Heck, I'd eat the chocolate, carry the coin purse or use the notebook for grocery lists.

My only hope is she doesn't open it alone in the girl's bathroom.