Sunday, February 06, 2011

The Bright Side

Now that last week's unprecedented weather is over, I can look back and say, "It wasn't really that bad." The way I see it there were pros and cons to being shut in all week long.

Pro: Quality time with the kids: I could complain about many things from last week but my kids' behavior really isn't one of them. Sure, they were a little stir crazy, but if I overlook that, they were considerate, patient, respectful and yes, even helpful.

Con: Quality time with the kids means we will probably still be in school mid-June - when it's 110 degrees.

Pro: We saved money on utilities: We didn't have hot water from Tuesday until Saturday evening. Even though our water bill isn't inordinately high, I would bet we saved a little by running very little water those five days.

Con: The money we spent on paper plates, cups and silverware, space heaters, pipe warmers, electric blankets, car batteries and food - I was surprised by how much my kids can eat in five days, especially since no one wants to eat the same thing or at the same time.

Pro: Money saved on daily expenses. Over the course of a week we can spend a lot on sundries just going to and from work, running errands at lunch, and filling up the cars. Not so much when you are snowed in.

Con: The urge I had to make up for the spending hiatus by hitting the mall and Target no less than 6 times in 48 hours.

Pro: We ate lots of meals together.

Con: We ate lots of meals together. And mid-morning snacks and cookies (because the oven kept the kitchen warm, of course) and hot chocolate and wine (me, not the kids) and carbs, carbs, carbs. I'm not sure what it is about the cold weather that made me want to eat wads of cookie dough and potato chips all day long.

So, here it is Sunday. Things are mostly back to normal. At least until Tuesday when we are supposed to get the next round of winter weather.