Friday, May 16, 2008

Fashion Police

Like a lot of women my age, I went through an earring phase in the 80s and 90s. I had close to a hundred pair and the bigger the better. Occasionally, when I was feeling a bit saucy I would even wear a different one in each ear. (Thank you Martha Quinn.)

But somewhere around 1995 I lost my ability to accessorize and since then I've been wearing small pearl studs, the smaller the better. I have to confess that I buy them in the girls' jewelry department because I consider adult earrings too big.

But in a recent desire to look like Rihanna on the cover of Elle, I invested in a $3 pair of huge silver hoops and actually liked the way they looked. But I needed a second opinion.

"What do you think Sam? Do you like these?

"Yes, they're sassy. But you look a little silly."

"Really, why?"

"Don't you think your shirt is too casual. I mean, shouldn't you be wearing a dress or a suit with those earrings?"