Monday, May 19, 2008

Lessons

I recently read an article that said kids today receive an average of 75 new toys a year. I believe it. Not that I'm proud of it, but it's too easy to offer a small toy as a reward or bribe your kids with a toy if they'll just make it through one hour at the grocery store.

After a recent, frustrating trip with the boys to Target I avoided a traffic jam by taking a detour through downtown Dallas. The shortcut took us right by a homeless shelter, and since the shelter is closed during the day, the sidewalk in front was filled with homeless people. The stoplight turned red, and I saw my opportunity to make a point.

"See that guy. I bet he isn't interested in getting a new computer game. I bet he'd like a pair of new shoes or a clean shirt or maybe a meal and a toothbrush. You see he doesn't even have a home to live in."

"I don't know," Sam said. "It seems like he has all he needs. A pillow, a blanket, a backpack for his clothes."

"Don't you think he would get lonely living on the streets? He probably doesn't have a family."

"I bet he's happy he doesn't kids he has to clean up after."

Maybe I need to rethink my approach.