Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Please Don't Wake the Bears

I was sound asleep at 2 a.m. when I was thwacked in the back of the head by Bryon's CPAP, the snoring mask he started wearing earlier this year. Apparently one of its many fasteners came unhinged and it snapped like a rubber band. (Either that or Bryon hit me in the head and blamed the CPAP. Could be.) But that kicked off a sleepless and convoluted night of musical beds, sleepwalking and crying.

After Bryon lost his CPAP he got up to use the bathroom. When he wasn't back in 5, 10, 15 minutes I got up to check on him and couldn't find him. Not in the guest bed, not on the couch. I thought maybe he went to the drugstore (allergies) but the car was in the garage. I checked our bed again, thinking maybe I'd actually fallen asleep before he made it back to bed. Still no Bryon. I went to check on the kids and found him asleep with Jake in Jake's twin bed. They looked like bears hibernating. Bryon was curled on his side and Jake was sitting, leaning into his stomach. Both sound asleep.

Rather than wake them I went back to bed, a little excited that I would get the bed to myself. Four minutes later Abby woke up. I brought her into bed with me. She eventually went back to sleep but I could not. It seems she is most comfortable when she is kicking me in the larynx. Then, of course, Papa Bear woke up, realized he was in the wrong bed and stumbled back to his.

Soon after Baby Bear woke up and realized Papa was gone. "I want to sleep wif you!!!" he screamed until I could get Abby back to her crib and Jake into our bed. Now Jake is a cougher, but he knows it is bothersome so he tries to stifle it. And if there's one thing worse than a nighttime cough, it is a stifled nighttime cough. For the next couple of hours we slept fitfully while Jake coughed and kicked and Bryon wheezed and I yanked at the covers available in my 10 inches of bed space. When the alarm went off at 6:30 Bryon tapped me on the leg. "It's your turn to get up."

Of course it is.