Wednesday, November 05, 2008

How I'll Remember It

Although I was an Obama supporter I tried to be honest and impartial with Sam when he asked questions about the election and the candidates. And he did. For whatever reason he was quite interested. Yesterday when I picked him up from school he handed me a Post-It note on which he had written: Today I am going to vote.

We went to the polling place together and I showed him the ballot and explained how to vote and who the choices were. I voted. And then we waited.

Sam was in bed when John McCain conceded the election. But when Bryon woke him up this morning he told him, "Sam, we have a new president."

"Is it Barack Obama?"

When he came downstairs I showed him the front page of our newspaper, a photo of the Obama family, hands clasped and raised in victory. Sam read the headline: "Change has come."

And I cried.