Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Daily Affirmation

I am always one to come up with an excuse to not go to church on Sunday. Most of the time it just seems like a hassle on a day that doesn't have to have hassles. But we usually go and I'm usually glad we do. I don't know if I'm gettin' the religion or what, but our minister has a way of preaching a sermon that feels like it was written for me.

A couple of Sundays ago he preached about affirmation, specifically affirming your kids. Not just praising them but affirming them - I love you, I think you are a great kid. And it got me thinking about Jake. Jake hears more than his share of criticism.

Last night Sam, Jake and I were reading before bedtime. Sam had picked out a book and was reading it out loud, himself. I think Jake was jealous of the attention Sam was getting, but for whatever reason he wouldn't sit still, he wouldn't be quiet and he wouldn't be polite. But I watched his little face, with his beautiful eyes and long, dark eyelashes and his little body with its broad shoulders and thought how nice it can be to hear something good from someone you love who loves you. I didn't tell him to be quiet or sit down or stop being rude. I just smiled at him and took his hand and waited for him to sit down.

I've let my 'relationship' with Jake go a little sour. Many times friends or acquaintances will comment on his blue eyes, his charm, his disposition and I think "My Jake? This kid? Him?" So I've been trying harder with him. Trying to be patient and supportive. Trying to see him through a rosier lens because I know a really sweet kid is within him and I know a better parent is within me.